E- Portrait #1

The Balancing Act of a Student Athlete.





Cormac McCarthy sitting in his locker. Photo Credit: Dylan Speitel


Cormac McCarthy, a New Hampshire native, is a Junior at the University of Tampa. Cormac is not your average college student however. Cormac is a student athlete, who is tasked with the difficult challenge of juggling school, his social life, and athletics. 



Q: Lets start off with a quick history lesson, when did you start playing lacrosse? Also, was there any specific reason you chose lacrosse?


C: “I started playing Lacrosse in the 2nd grade which in my town is the earliest you are allowed to start playing. I live approximately 45 minutes outside of Boston, MA so I grew up around the sport. I live in a bit of a hot spot for lacrosse, so as soon as I was able to I started playing. I chose lacrosse because it was fast paced and physical. I love the speed of the game, and how quickly things can change.”





Q: I saw on your Tampa bio you're a transfer, What made you decide to pick Tampa?


C: “ I decided to pick Tampa because I wanted to play for a winning program, and compete for a national championship. Tampa has a history of winning, and making a run at the national championship. Year in and year out they compete, and that’s what I was looking for. I knew Tampa was a big transfer school for D1 athletes, so I thought it would be a good fit. After I visited the campus and met the coaches I knew it would be a great fit. The weather doesn't hurt either.”






Q: What’s the hardest part of being a student athlete?


C: “ I would say the hardest part is the time management. In the fall I have several practices a week, early morning runs, and then team lifts. It can be a lot, and on top of everything I have several classes everyday. Just finding time to get everything done. In the spring its even busier with games and constantly traveling. It takes a lot of time management and sacrifice, but its worth it at the end of the day.”





Q: I saw you guys had a great season last year, What’s the outlook for this season?

C: “ Yeah last year was a solid year, but we didn't accomplish our goals as a team. Our goal is always to make a run for the national championship, and last year we fell short of that. This year nothings different look to win the conference championship and make it into the tournament. We have a great team returning, but we lost some great seniors to graduation. We are looking to bounce back from last years tournament lose. Everyone is excited for the season to start.”


Q: My last question for you is, What is your least favorite part of being a student athlete?


C: “ If i had to pick, I guess I would say missing out on being a normal college student. It’s a privilege to be a college athlete and I love it, but you miss out on a lot. You don't get to be a normal college student, it’s like having a full time job. It’s tough to see other kids have one class a day, and be done when I know how much I have ahead of me. So I would say just losing time with my friends here.”


Interview has been edited for brevity, clarity and style.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E- Portrait 3

E- Portrait #2

Event Photo #2