E- Portrait #2

Country Living



Christian VandenHeuvel sitting on the bed of his truck. Photo Credit: Dylan Speitel




Christian VandenHuevel, a Maryland native, is a Junior at the University of Tampa. Christian is a brand rep for the country clothing company, Dux. He uses social media to help promote the clothing brand.





Q: Let's start off with some easier questions to get you warmed up, What made you interested in this particular clothing company?


C: " Well Dux is a popular hunting company that I actually saw on Instagram for the first time about a year ago I would say. Im from Western Maryland which is kind of a hick or country area. If you can't tell by my camo hat I am avid hunter, and have been my whole life. When I am home back in Maryland one of my favorite things to do is go goose hunting with my dad and buddies. So, I was interested in Dux because I felt it was a company that matched my lifestyle. I love to wear camo and anything "country like" so I thought it was just a good company, and a good fit for  me."




Q: So what exactly is your Role with Dux? How do you help them and how do they help you?


C: " My role with Dux is I am a brand rep that helps promote the company on social media. I primarily use Instagram to help promote the company, I usually just repost their stuff onto my public Instagram story. It's actually pretty cool because at other Southern schools there are brand reps for Dux doing exactly what I am, just trying to help a cool company. So in a sense all of the other college brand reps and myself are like a little hick community. I am not employed by Dux by any means, but I definitely get benefits. When I post a story on my social media, I get a discount on their website for clothes and hats. So I just have post on social media about the company and in exchange I get discounts on clothes. I would have its a pretty good deal, not a whole lot of work and I get a little discount."



What is your favorite part of being a brand rep for Dux?


C: "Selfishly, my favorite part is that I get a discount on their clothes because it saves me a little money, and I get to buy more from a company I like a lot. Other than the discount I would say my favorite part is just helping out a company even if it's small scale. I have talked to a couple guys from Dux, and they seem like good guys who I would love to help out in anyway. You know, I grew up as a country boy or hick whatever you want to call it, so I am always down to help a brand I relate to. It feels good to help promote something, and it's kinda cool they picked me to represent them. I really enjoy being a brand rep."





What's next for you and Dux? Are you gonna try to take on a bigger role?


C: " As of right now just going to keep doing what I'm doing. Using social media to help promote this brand, and just trying to help in anyway I can. Nothing really next for me and the company at this very moment just enjoying being a rep and helping out this company. If Dux wants to give me a bigger role somehow I would be very interested, but like I said right now just going to keep doing what I'm doing. I wouldn't more discounts though."




Okay last question, what is your least favorite part of being a brand rep?



C: " Uh, I truthfully don't have a least favorite thing about it I am really enjoying being the brand rep for Dux. But I guess if I had to pick one thing it would be that I have to constantly be on my phone, and checking social media. If they send me something to promote they want it posted within a matter of minutes. So some days I constantly posting on social media trying to help this brand, but it forces me to be on my phone and social media in general more than I want. Sometimes it's nice to get away from your phone, and the virtual world. I need some downtime away from social media, to focus on myself and my day. In general though I love everything about being a brand rep, and I am to continue doing it for as long as they need me."




Interview has been edited for brevity, clarity and style.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

E- Portrait 3

Event Photo #2