E- Portrait 3

Life Saver


Kyle McAvoy sits near the pool. Photo Credit: Dylan Speitel





Kyle McAvoy, a Rochester native, is a Junior at the University of Tampa. Kyle takes full advantage of the warm weather as a way to earn some extra money. Kyle is a part time Lifeguard, who uses his swimming background to protect others.






Q: Let's begin with some background information, being from Upstate New York a lifeguard is a bit of an odd occupation, When did you start lifeguarding?


K: "Yeah, Rochester New York isn't exactly a beach town so people always wonder how I became a lifeguard in an area primarily known for its harsh winters and endless amounts of snow. I guess it all really started when my mom put my older brother and I in swimming lessons when I was about 10 years old. I immediately fall in love with the water, and happen to be a decent swimmer. Once I entered High School I got my Lifeguard certification, and started working at local indoor facilities during the summer, and in the summer I lifeguarded at a local pool. Once I decided to attend the University of Tampa, it kinda hit me that I could lifeguard year round. So I have been a part time lifeguard since arriving in Tampa."





Q: What is the process of becoming a Lifeguard?


K: "It's actually more work than I think people would guess. You need to pass several tests, take courses, and work decently hard. The first thing was I needed to pass a preliminary swimming test to show that I am a capable swimmer. After that you have to take several lifeguard courses, I had to train several hours a week, and then eventually take the certification test. It was more work than I thought, but I believe it is all worth it."




Q: What is a typical day for your while at work?



K: "Honestly, since I usually just work local pools or gyms my days aren't that busy at all. We work in shifts so I am at the stand for approximately 45 minutes to an hour, and then someone will take over and I will clean up the pool area. Once I am off the stand I'll just clean up around the pool area, and make sure everything is in order. My days have been kind of slow recently because it is getting  a little "colder" in Tampa so less people are coming to the pool. Along with that I have been working less because I have a heavier course load this semester, so I don't get to work as much as I would like. Overall my days are pretty relaxed.



Q: What is your favorite part of being a Lifeguard?




K: "Other than the fact I get paid to tan? No, I am just kidding I would say my favorite part of being a lifeguard is just the opportunity to help others, and the sense of responsibility. I love being around the pool all day, and being able to give back to my local community. Along with that I like the social aspect of the job I get to talk to everyone at the pool, and get to know them on a more personal level. I don't know really how to explain it I just enjoy the sense of responsibility, and the chance to help others. I love being a lifeguard because it is something I wanted to be, I worked hard to obtain this goal, and now I get to do it for a job. A big part of my decision of coming to Tampa was the fact I would be able to work year round at a job I love."






Q: Okay, last question what is your least favorite part of being a Lifeguard?


K: "I guess if I had to say what my least favorite aspect is I would most likely say sometimes the job can get a bit boring. The job is extremely enjoyable, but when you're up on the stand for an hour, and no one is really in the pool it becomes a bit mundane. You don't what the job to become overly exciting because that means there are problems or someone is in danger, but at times it can get a bit boring. I guess it's like any other job though on the slow days it isn't exactly fun, but overall the job is important. As I said, I love almost everything about my job, but if you made me pick something I don't like I would say it can be boring."






Interview has been edited for brevity, clarity and style.


Comments

  1. Warns swimmers of improper activities or danger and enforces pool regulations and water safety policies. lifeguard class near me

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

E- Portrait #2

Event Photo #2